Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Open the Door

My eyes open but it’s too bright to see anything. “Focus” I can hear someone whisper in my ear but when I turn around there’s no one there. I crawl my way down what seems to be a hallway, feeling with my hands all the rips and tears in the worn carpet; my eyes still will not focus. Reaching the end of the hall and into my back pocket I pull out a red pen. At the end of the hallway I can feel a door handle but it will not open; it turns but seems to be barricaded from inside. I can see a little better now, and it’s not as bright anymore. I can see no other exit so I must enter here. Looking down at my feet I see a polished silver platter full of bread and wine. Who would leave this here I ask myself. I take 10 paces back and run as hard as I can force my shoulder into the door. Someone had used an old rustic piano to block the door. I play the keys but it’s out of tune. I look around and try to make out what’s in the room. It seems to be an old sanctuary. The pews are empty and as I walk down the aisle I see my footprints formed in the dust. Someone must have locked themselves inside this room for a very long time. I can see normally again as the high noon sun beats down on the stain glass windows. The colors are mesmerizing and breathtaking, seeing all the rays of light shine down on the empty pews. Reaching the podium I can see a Bible sitting opened on the stand. There’s red pen marking the entire bible, circling what seems to be every other line. There’s a page ripped out and lying on the floor...I pick it up but something’s different with this page. All the others were all marked up but this one has only one verse circled.

Revelations 3:20 “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me”.

You see, our hearts are full of things we hold dear, like in this story, church, music (Piano) etc. But none of this will last very long if you do not open the door for Jesus. In this story I pictured a minister fed up with people not listening or paying attention when he preached. He grew angry and blocked out Jesus from his heart. The food left outside the door was left by Jesus himself “I will come in and eat with him, and he with me”. The door Jesus knocks on, but refuses to open because we have to open it. The door of our heart ...

No comments:

Post a Comment